Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Most Magical time of the Year

So...yes I know its been a while, but I'm working on it. At least it wasn't a full six months since the last post. So here we go.

As the title of this blog states, "Life as a Nurse." I figure I better give a little insight on that profession. Two nights ago I felt as though I was ready to quit. I know that I say this often but the other night was almost career breaking. So first I'd like to start off with some statements just to clear up somethings for those of you who aren't as familiar with the profession.

1. RN, with BSN. (That's my official title) Which means, yes I went to four years of college and graudated with a Bachleors of Science in Nursing. I spent four LONG years learning about this profession and what all goes into being a nurse.

2. I then studied for what seemed like endless hours for about a 1 hour test that included 75 questions and waiting 48 hours to see if I passed. P.S I also got an ear plug stuck in my ear. So dear residents, I yes know what I am talking about, yes, I have a license that I've worked every hard for and don't want to lose it, so I am not going to suggest something that is outright stupid.

3. Finally if someone has PICC line, that usually means they are a difficulty stick for and IV or blood.

Enough list now for the story. So my patient had a PICC line that was bleeding. And when I say bleeding, I don't mean like drip, drip oh lets apply pressure and stop. I'm am talking hurricane breaking levy bleeding. So we tried these little pads that are supposed to help the blood clot, well again the levy's broke and we just kept bleeding. Now mind you this patient was also getting blood because his levels were low. (Umm remember here levy breaking bleeding from PICC line.) So I decide that alright I think I need to call the resident......

Well....he really needs the blood, and it can't be bleeding that bad...well try to get a peripheral...well i might be able to come down and see it...if his crit is above 24 we can hold the blood to the am. All the responses I got to my questions...well finally this wonderful resident decides to come "take a look" because the crit came back at 24. (I was so angry when I saw that.)

So I trudge into the room and let me back up a little here. It's probably 245am at this time and the patient hasnt gotten much sleep at all. So the resident says,"wow, that is bleeding." I am not even going to respond to this comment. Enough said.

Now to make a long story short, she proceeds to tell me I need to try at least 10 times to get a peripheral IV in this patient. And even then I should keep trying. At this point I was ready to chuck the entire IV set up I had in the room at her along with he patients fake leg.

In NO way shape or form will I ever poke a patient 10 times. That is cruel. I think at 5 times a nurse would say we are done. Thankfully it only too me two tries, but considering the IV site went horizontal across is elbow, I'm not sure how long it took. But that's not the point.

The point is that I shouldn't have to fight to be heard, and understand. I shouldn't have to call 3, 4, and 5 times to have a resident come look at this patient. I should never have to poke a patient that many times to get an IV. I should be able to let my patients sleep so that they can get rest. I shouldn't have to fight you, and I shouldn't have to feel like im trying to claw my way up a 90 degree cliff in order to keep my patients safe. I'm not saying I won't continue to fight, but I want residents to understand is that as nurses we are not stupid, dumb, random people from the street to wipe butts, and clean up poop, and pass meds. We took Anatomy and Physiology, we took Microbiology, just like you, granted we may have not taken as many classes but we have a degree and a license that we don't' want to mess with. So please just LISTEN!!!!

Now on a light note it truly is a magical time of year. CHRISTMAS. First on the list, with second of course being March Madness. But this Christmas season will be a little different than past. I have to work :(! No only Christmas but all three days surrouding this beautiful day. A sore subject so I wont' get into it,

Tonight I decorated my tree. It's a little Charlie Brownish but I still love it! There is something about it I can't explain. I'm not sure if its the lights, the red/sliver/gold balls, the greenness of it, the mountain pine candle sitting next to it since its a fake, or the shiness. But I love it. I've been prolonging sleep because I don't want to have to unplug the lights, but I must in order to be able to work tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment