Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chocolate Pudding and Heart Surgery

First of all I will never look at chocolate pudding the same way again. As most of my friends know I am a hardcore fan to the death vanilla with rainbow sprinkles. Yes, I do eat sprinkles by themselves, that is a whole different story. But, every since I can remember that was my order at Dairy Queen, staring with a dish and then graduating to the cone. I have now moved onto blizzards, but deep down vanilla all the way!! As I have grown older I have learned to appreciate the chocolate emotional binge every now and then. So moving on to the story, chocolate pudding can be a great vehicle to give pills to patients, specifically those who are not alert and oriented, and those who get the "hostile" box checked during an assessment. So I walk in being my "cheerful, joyful" peppy self and offer this wonderful person their pills, one of which includes an anti-anxiety pills. So they agree to eat some chocolate pudding. My little brain says, "Praise Jesus, this is going to work." So in the spoon goes. Thoughts in my head: Alright this is going to work, meds passed on this person, just keep chewing, just keep chewing. Then it happened. Chocolate pudding proceeds to come in projectile vomit form out of her mouth at me landing on my face my arm and my name tag. At this point in my head I'm thinking okay this could be worse. Then this person who I love dearly begins to throw the goopy, spit up chocolate pudding. The conversation that ensues next is priceless:

Me: (Insert name here)." Please do not spit or hit, It's not nice or safe."
Insert name here's response: Oh yes it is nice to spit and hit.

Oh the joys of nursing. Let's just say I will never look at chocolate pudding, and eggs again. For the record do not put a hard boiled egg in the microwave I almost lost my life.

At the end of this blog I'd like to say a few thank you's

My cardio-thoracic surgeon: Thank for performing my CABG surgery, most likely it will be a quadrouple by pass and to you I owe my life.

My ICU nurses that will get me in recovery: Thanks for dealing with the raging horror and anxiety that will occur when I relieve that I am intubated. Have the wrist restraints, and ativan at the bedside. Don't worry, I will give you chocolate or buy you pizza. Food is so the way to a nurses heart.

My floor nurses: To you I will everyone, as you will help me with my recovery! Plus you will also deal with the nurses favorite type of patient, "the former/current nurse." Again I will give you chocolate or buy you pizza.


I ate Mark's pizza tonight for some reason I needed a comfort food binge, but right now my heart and my stomach isn't thanking me. Again I'm not sure how this whole blog thing will work but hope you enjoy the chocolate pudding story.

No comments:

Post a Comment